Monday, October 3, 2011

The Hidden "N"

Dear Sir,

I have recently received the View newsletter for the month of October (Or as I like to call it, "Rocktober"!).  As I skimmed through it a certain contest caught my eye.
"Find the hidden Nebraska 'N' for reward points," I mused aloud, "Sounds interesting!"  Then I laughed a deep hearty laugh.  You see my good sir, they call me 'the finder'.  I look at pictures, and then I find things.  "Where's waldo?" cry the commoners.  "There he is!" I announce.  Not to brag, but I once beat  Where's Waldo: Beach Edition, in less then 2 hours.  Hell, I beat Where's Waldo: Kenya Edition in like 20 minutes.

It was with great confidence that I undertook your challenge.  Four pages?  Pshaw!  That was the first time I made the pshaw noise.  It felt good.  I resolved to do it more often.  I was condescending to a challenge that wasn't directed at me in particular and it felt good.  Damn good.   As any good finder knows, the first thing you do is survey the general idea of the search area.  What's the theme?  Are there any noticeable oddities?  Is the font spooky?  Yes, yes, and yes.  It was a dark and spooky newsletter, sending shivers down my spine and some other places.  I was afraid, but not scared.  After all, hadn't I beat Where's Waldo: Saw III Edition?  Yes I had.  I manned up and powered through the fear.

I saw lots of 'N's.  There was even one in "October Newsletter"  (Or as I like to call it , "Rocktober Newsletter"!).  I quickly trained my eyes to lock on to the letter in question like a magnet on like a metal statue.  Or maybe a refrigerator or a robot.  Let's progress from that analogy.  Even now my eyes are locking onto the "N"s I type.  They are still suspicious of these "N"s, no of all "N"s.  Like how my grandpa still doesn't like Asians.  Sadly, none of the "N"s I found were the Nebraska "N". 

On day three of my search my roommates began to show concern.  "You need to eat," they told me.  "You need to sleep," they insisted.  "You smell horrible, and you're eyes are all yellow," they said.  Fools.  The trouble with having a passion is that it is so frequently misunderstood as madness.  But I would show them.  My triumph was yet to come.  My hair and fingernails grew long.  I lost weight.  My boss called and fired me for continually missing work.  My roommates gave up on me. My girlfriend dumped me for unrelated reasons, it was more of a mutual thing really.  We had different priorities. 

But I knew I had to keep searching.  After all, there were only so many days in October (Or as I like to call it, "Rocktober"!).  Besides, I was accustom to long searches.  It had taken me many moons to beat Where's Waldo: Plastic Surgery Edition. But now I am among the few who have beat that.  When you search for something this long, you begin to wonder about why you are searching for it.  Why indeed.  Why.   Indeed.  Not only that but also why the University of Nebraska logo?  Why indeed?  See, here's the thing.  Many view residents attend other schools.  Some don't go to school at all.  This logo as the subject  of my search, my destiny (Or as I like to call it, "Rocktober"!) seems to have been chosen on purpose to create traction between two groups of people.  The university students and the non university students.  You're little Find-The-N game was in all actuality a diabolical plot to create hatred between two groups of people.  Two groups of people who should never hate each other.

"Oh God!"  My mournful cry came out with the awkwardness that is applied when you haven't spoken in weeks.   A tear ran down my cheeks and navigated the forest of my stubble.  These were dark times.  I spent a week ruminating on the natural human instinct to hate.  But then I realized something.  What if you WEREN'T trying to create hurtful divide between your residents?   What if you only chose the symbol satirically?  Well then you would hide they controversial symbol somewhere stinky and foul to represent the negative implications of a segregated apartment complex.  Of course!  It was all so simple. I should have paid more attention to Where's Waldo: Satirical Allegory Edition. 

Confidently I flipped the page like a mermaid flips her sun-kissed hair.  Sure enough, there was the Nebraska "N", right in the zombie's armpit.  It was a time for celebration.  It was a time for champagne.  It was a time to party.  And that's why I call it Rocktober.  Additionally, that's why  they call me the finder. 

Yours Forever,

The Finder.



Explanation:
 My apartment complex has started a reward program in which residents can earn points through activities.  The resident with the most points at the end of each month wins a $50 gift card and "pride".  This news letter had an opportunity to earn some 5 points just by emailing the leasing director where you found the hidden Nebraska "N" in the newsletter.    I found it and sent this email.  And yeah, I considered putting the explanation at the start of the post, but I didn't want to punish those who were sharp enough to figure it out by themselves with this boring crap to start out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment