Monday, November 1, 2010

Diseases

Think of the most irritating people you know, and then think of the most talkative people you know.  Are they the same people?  I have no way of knowing how you answered because this communication isn’t verbal, but if we were together you could have said “yes” and I would have been irritated because you’re so talkative.   
Like it or not, people are going to talk to you.  It won’t always be interesting subjects like the best way to beat a dungeon.  In fact most of the things people tell you have no bearing on you whatsoever.  People want to tell you about their vacations, diseases and marital problems. They want to discuss the weather and tell you stories about people you’ve never met.  Communication exists so that people can exchange important information or ideas but at first glance it seems that these topics fail to satisfy the “important” qualification.  Today we'll learn why people want to tell you about their diseases.
People have an inherent need to tell you of their ills, their family and friends’ ills, and their co-worker’s ills whether or not you have a medical license.  In theory this could be a very beneficial practice.

Ideal:
Fertile member of the opposite sex: Oh my god I was so worried, last night my dad had a heart attack, thank god he’s okay!
You:  Thank you.  I will be sure to keep your family’s history of heart disease in mind when considering you for a potential mate.

Reality:
Elderly stranger: I have a horrible skin disease, but don’t take my word for it, here let me take off my shirt.
You: That won’t be necessary as you can no longer bear children.  Your condition is not relevant.
Elderly stranger: Too late! Also, check out my ear hair.
                Although it seems odd, there are several reasonable possibilities as to why people share their unpleasant illnesses with you.
Playing the odds.  ‘If I tell enough people about my toe fungus, eventually I will tell an off duty doctor and score a free diagnosis.’
Insulting you. ‘I’m sick and contagious but I don’t care enough about your health to avoid you.’
Attempting to get free medicine. ‘Boy have I got a terrible cough, if only I had some cough drops, then I might not hack phlegm all over your belongings.
Excuses.  ‘I’m not feeling well so anything I’ve done in the recent past or anything I’m doing now may be horrible but you can’t blame me’

                Not often specified by the ill, which message they’re sending can be difficult to determine.   Next time someone you know tells you of their woes, try determining what they are really saying instead of thinking how uninteresting others illnesses are.  Do they not like you? Do they want your medication?  With practice you can find the message behind the sickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment